Working parents, we’re with you. This year has been the most challenging year ever juggling home and work responsibilities – whether you’ve been supporting kids, nieces or nephews, grandkids or puppies! (No seriously.)
For Kendra, a Merchandiser on Team Walmart, home life became even more challenging when her husband called to say she needed to hurry home because their dog’s water broke.
The struggle has been real, but we made it to September 16, National Working Parents Day! Congratulations to you! And if you’re one of the friends, neighbors, aunts, uncles, or grandparents pitching in to help another family, thank you!
Some households found success in keeping things as normal as possible, despite interruptions 24/7. Others decided to throw their old routine out the window and have created a new normal. Across the board, Premium parents made significant lifestyle changes to accommodate work during the pandemic, sometimes without access to childcare.
Flexibility in our jobs and at home remains crucial. Field Rep Glennda stays home during the day now while her two girls are in school online. When her husband gets home, they swap, and he finishes homework while she goes to work. She says, “It has been an adventure, but we’ve been making it work!”
Left: Kasey, a Premium field rep and student, has been completing virtual schooling alongside her kids.
Middle: Leslie, IT Support Manager, created functional learning spaces for her kids that are, “mobile, encourage task-related focus, and let’s be real, limit siblings from bothering one another.”
Right: Daughter of Jessi, VP of Strategic Accounts.
Overall, we know the #PeopleofPremium to be a very creative and resourceful bunch who don’t shy away from a challenge. Here are some of our favorite Premium #ParentHacks – all implemented during COVID-19.
- “Cookies and juice for the little one and a $5 bill for the 15-year-old to babysit in the car while Mama finishes a service order in the store!” – Nicole, Retail Merchandiser
- “We change our Wi-Fi password weekly, and they cannot get the new password until chores, reading, etc. are done, so no Fortnite is available until then. I have never seen them spring into action on their ‘to do’ lists!“ – Jessi, VP – Strategic Accounts
- “I’m teaching my daughter to crawl on the floor underneath the view of my laptop’s camera (when I forget to lock the door).” – Chelsea, Recruiter
- “We built homemade weights out of concrete so we can go out in the yard for family workouts in the evening. It’s a great stress reliever, and it burns out all of the kids’ energy. Hooray for early bedtimes!” – Rian, Client Account Coordinator
- “Along with virtual schooling, we have added ‘school bells’ with our Amazon Alexa. She also reminds us nightly to work on our memory verse for the week. My kids listen to her better than they listen to me!” – Carla, Walmart PSP
- “I use a whiteboard to outline set times including breakfast, showers, lunch, breaks outside in nature, and ‘mom and son time’ when there is no technology around just us. He has the most amazing ideas and is one of the funniest people I know. I’m a single mom and his laughter is my medicine.” – Laura, Sales & Training Rep
- “I have my 8-year-old son carry pocket hand sanitizer, and on his watch, I have a reminder to sanitize his hands every 2 hours.” – Enam, District Manager
- “My oldest has been having a hard time going into middle school. We now take a walk every morning right after we drop his brother off and before I start work, and he has to start online classes. It’s helped him to get some energy out first thing in the morning.” – Vanessa, Recruiter
- “My garage has become a place of refuge. I go out there, sit back in a lawn chair, and listen to music. I lock the door from inside the garage so NO ONE can come in and bother me!” – Wendy, Recruiter
Additional resources that #PremiumParents have found helpful include:
Melissa from the Walmart PSP team lives and breathes by her Google Calendar. “Everyone has access to it and can add and edit since we can’t always keep up with the constant changes. Need a ride to school on Wednesday? Is a friend coming over Friday, and you want pizza? Put. It. On. The. Calendar.”
Raquel, a Zone Leader, has become a fan of Walmart’s online grocery. “The app was really easy to use, very convenient, and fast. It allowed me to stick within my budget and do it from the comfort of my home. It minimizes the people in-store and allows for vendors and employees to get their work done.”
Kristin, Recruiter, loves Cosmic Kids Yoga and has found it to be a great way to relax with her family. Additional favorites from across Premium include GoNoodle, Vroom, PBS Kids, ABC Mouse and Ducksters as well as programs like Reflex Learning and Lexia Learning.
Recruiter Kristin enjoys some fresh air with her family.
We’re happy Premium continues to grow, offering a home to new employees and expanding our work family.
Christopher, a Client Account Coordinator who started at Premium in August said, “I hadn’t been working for about 4 months and was very concerned about finances. Premium has provided me the flexibility to take care of my family while supporting my daughter with school. My job is challenging and innovative to help satisfy my career aspirations, and I’m looking forward to a vibrant future with Premium.”
With Q4 around the corner, let’s all take a collective deep breath, and remember we’re #InThisTogether. You don’t have to face the challenges alone. Premium offers an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) to all employees. WorkLifeMatters provides guidance for personal issues and information about other concerns that may affect your life.